- This authorization card is a way for CGSU to prove their membership base and call for an election. They require 30% of graduate student workers to sign cards before an election can be held.
- It is a LEGALLY binding document which indicates that you want to form a union and requires the University to honor the request for an election.
- CGSU has already chosen to affiliate with NYSUT/AFT. By signing the card you acknowledge and support this choice.
- If you were misled and want to withdraw your membership, please follow the procedure outlined below. At What Cost would be glad to help you with any concerns/questions.
- You have the right to make a choice without coercion. If you feel you were unduly coerced into signing (or not signing) this card, please file a grievance. Click here to learn how.
WITHDRAW YOUR CARD:
According to the CGSU constitution you can ‘voluntarily’ withdraw your membership
“(1) Members may ask to leave the Union at any time by written request and the return of his/her membership card (if available) to the membership coordinator. (CGSU email: firstname.lastname@example.org)
(2) Upon request and return, the membership coordinator will destroy the cards and log the date of the withdrawal.”
NOTE: Withdrawing your card is only possible before the union is recognized as the sole bargaining representative!